18.6 C
Sunday, November 28, 2021
- Advertisement -spot_img


The Ekiti State Police Command has revealed that it has arrested three suspected perpetrators of Saturday’s killings during the House of Assembly bye-election in Ekiti East Constituency 1.

Eyewitness.com recalls that three persons were on Saturday shot dead in Omuo-Ekiti by suspected party thugs while five others sustained gunshot wounds during the House of Assembly bye-election conducted by the Independent National Electoral Commission(INEC) in the state constituency.

The seat became vacant following the death of an All Progressives Congress (APC) lawmaker representing the constituency in the state House of Assembly, Juwa Adegbuyi, in February.

Speaking with newsmen on Sunday in Ado-Ekiti, the state capital, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), ASP Sunday Abutu, said the three suspects were picked up at their hideout and are now being detained at the police headquarters in the state capital.

Abutu who stated that the suspects would be taken to court as soon as investigations are concluded said the command would not fold its hands and allowed hoodlums take over the state.

He said: “Yes, three suspected party thugs have been arrested. They were picked up where they were hiding and are now being detained in our headquarters.

“Murder is a capital offence and police won’t watch and allow anyone take laws into his own hands freely. Nigeria is a nation being guided by laws.

“Just like we assured our people on Saturday, everyone who had hands in the killings will be brought to book.

“And I am assuring all residents that all those that were arrested will be taken to court as soon as we conclude investigations and gather enough evidence.”

The PPRO clarified that the policewoman who was shot during the melee is recuperating and responding to treatment.

“No police officer died during the shooting by party thugs. Though, one of our officers was shot but she didn’t die as wrongly speculated.

“The policewoman, who though was in a critical condition yesterday (Saturday) is now responding to treatment. She is getting better,” Abutu said.

The election had also been suspended by INEC owing to violence that marred the poll.

More Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Stay Connected

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles