Dr Sam Mbakwe was the governor of the then Old Imo State which comprised of the present Imo State, Abia State and part of Ebonyi State. Mbakwe is credited to be the most performing eastern governor of all times. Below are projects executed within his four year tenure as governor at a time when there was no Paris Club fund, no Excess Crude funds, no 13% derivatives for oil producing states, no sharing of allocation.
1. Imo State University.
2. College of Technology Nekede (PolyNek)
3. College of Agricultural Umuagwu
4. The Aluminum Extrusion Industry located at Ikeduru.
5. Paper Packaging Industry located at Owerre Ebiri, Orlu;
6. Sacs Hercules Motorcycle Plant located at Naze in Owerri North;
7. Clay Industries located at Ezinnachi and Amuro, Okigwe;
8. Nsu Tiles and Ceramics Industry loacted at Ezeoke, Ehime Mbano;
9. Concorde Hotel at Owerri.
10. Aluminum Smelter Plant in Inyishi.
11. International Glass Industry Aba.
12. Modern Standard Shoe Industry Owerri.
13. Imo Modern Poultry Avutu, Obowo.
14. Golden Chicken Poultry farm, Ukwa.
15. Begedoff Beer Umuahia.
16. Imo Hotels.
17. Aluminum Extrusion Industry Ikeduru.
18. Resin Paint Factory Mbaise.
19. Mega power stations at Amaraku and Izombe.
20. Progress Bank.
21. IBC Television Channel 59.
22. Oguta Lake Motels.
23. Abadaba Lake Resorts.
24. Central Stadium Owerri (Dan Anyiam).
25. International Glass Industry Aba.
26. Imo modern Sulo Waste Management System.
27. Developed the New Owerri Capital territory and built major roads that are still use in present Imo, Abia and Ebonyi.
28. The Osisioma Industrial Estate,
29. World Bank Housing Estate Osisioma,
30. Ariaria Market Aba,
31. Eziukwu Market,
32. Ekeoha Shopping Complex,
33. Enyimba Hotel Complex,
34. Metallurgical Complex
All these he achieved in less than 4 years when crude oil prices were not even high.